Monday, May 5, 2008

There's Just Something About a Wedding


On Saturday, I officiated my sister's wedding...what an awesome blessing! It's not often that weekends like this one come along, so I tried to soak it in as much as possible. There was so much to soak in! As I look back on the gathering of dear and genuinely missed family (near and distant) and the long-lasting celebration of love, the palpable touch of God's goodness makes me smile. At this point, there are two things that stick out in my mind as "favorite moments."

First, when my son (the ring bearer) made his way down the aisle and approached his spot next to me, I stuck out my hand and we spontaneously exchanged a subtle low-five...very fun. Of course, I also enjoyed watching my beautiful little girl willfully perform her duties as the flower girl (again, I know these moments are so rare).

Second, and perhaps the most memorable was the eye contact. While speaking during my sister's wedding, the only mode of discernible communication with me was eye contact. I so much enjoyed the facial expressions of the bride and groom as they encouraged, anticipated, delighted and rejoiced during different parts of the ceremony....all with their eyes. At one point or another, I was engaged by different wedding guests and even spurred on by one bridesmaid (Laura Lees) as I stumbled briefly over a sentence.

Through it all, God was faithful. I wasn't nervous at all....just excited at the opportunity to share what He wanted me to share. On Saturday I learned that I have a long way to go in learning to speak by His speaking, and not just reciting His words. Still, I believe that the Lord Jesus was there and it meant a lot that my dear friend and brother, Rishi, prayed for me just before the guests arrived. Finally, it meant so much to me to be so warmly received by my local brothers and sisters in Christ at the reception. To Ryan and Jennifer, may God richly bless your marriage and thanks so much for the overwhelming joy of being a part of its beginning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a true blessing, Brother. The Lord was present. And you displayed our Lord Jesus Christ more than you realize.

Amy said...

Very cool, Chris.