Sunday, April 13, 2008

More from Uncle Hudson


As I'm reading along in this book, I'm finding that this brother's faith is just so encouraging. His words and life make me want to go on with Jesus all the more. Here's an example.
For God is no man's debtor, and here in his solitude, Hudson Taylor was learning something of what God can be to the one who follows hard after Him. In these days of easy-going Christianity, is it not well to remind ourselves that it really does cost to be a man or woman whom God can use? One cannot obtain a Christlike character for nothing, and one cannot do a Christlike work save at great price.

I pulled this statement from a subsequent chapter that seems to shed more light on the above::

"I never made a sacrifice," said Hudson Taylor in later years, looking back over a life in which that element was certainly not lacking. But what he said was true, for the compensations were so real and lasting that he came to see that giving up is inevitably receiving, when one is dealing heart to heart with God.

Chapter 4 of this book is magnificent! This chapter's essential message is that when we are faithfully obedient and take steps that God calls us to take, He always comes through and will never leave us holding an empty bag. His testimony to this fact as told in Chapter four really is inspiring. One of the best book chapters I've ever read, and that's no exaggeration.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really encouraging - keep sharing!

I love what you said: "what God can be to the one who follows hard after Him."

I love the idea of following "hard after God." It could be taken as, "It's up to you," but I read it as "You have to be intentional about pursuing (or letting yourself be pursued) by God."

I want to be more intentional, Chris.

Christopher Taylor said...

Me too, Brother...I want to be more intentional, too. Thank you.

Desire of all Nations said...

Great blog my friend. Yours it what my soul needed this fine day. May the lamb of God that was slain receive the rewards of His suffering.