Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Old School


It is rare for me to drive our mini-van to work, but I did so on Friday. Our mini-van was built in 1996 and offers musical enjoyment only through the means of an audio-casette player. I soon found myself listening to dc Talk's JesusFreak.

I truly believe that JesusFreak is one of the best Christian compilations of all time (Truly, I don't know whether to call it an album, tape, or cd....for brevity's sake, let's call it a cd). It is definitely in my top five cd's of all time. It really is a very deep, yet incredibly fun collection of songs. Where else can you find such a potpourri of lyrical topics....drug addiction vs. God addiction, race relations, advocacy of fearless and unapologetic Christianity, daily fellowship with God, legitimate and genuine fear of losing the band's Christian identity, rea; forgiveness, and walking in the light as He is in the light. Not to mention that they just had a great sound. I know it's 2008, but I still say that JesusFreak is worth acknowledging as a great piece of music. Agree of disagree?

So, I've provided one of my top five cd's (and yes, the rest of them are actually from the 21st century)...anybody else care to share your top five list or one of your top five?

6 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, man, I haven't listened to Jesus Freak (the CD or the song) in a long time. And with the advent of iTunes, I don't know that I really listen to albums all that much any more. I'll get really attached to a song or two but probably not a whole album.

Jesus Freak is pretty much the soundtrack of my senior year of high school and the year or two after, both lyrically and because I listened to it SO much during that time.

As good as many of the song are, it's hard for me to listen to some of them now because of the memories they dredge up. But I have to agree it's one of the best albums.

Anonymous said...

Christian music owes everything to Jesus Freak. Even if people don't like it, they have to admit that it was the first true break from Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman in Christian music.

Top Five:
1) Bebo Norman - The Fabric of Verse
2) Jars of Clay - self titled
3) Caedmon's Call - self titled
4) Jennifer Knapp - Kansas
5) Holland Rhythm Band - Wonder (never heard it, you say? That's too bad).
5) David Crowder - All I Can Say
5) Small Town Poets - self titled
5) Derek Webb - She Must and Shall Go Free
5) Michael Card - Ancient of Faith

Amy said...

Small Town Poets!!! OH my gosh, I completely forgot about that one. I have it...somewhere, I think...but haven't listened to it in AGES.

I agree with at least five of your top "five" Rishi.

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Thanks for your comment. It's funny, b/c I became familiar with this cd in law school with some other tough circumstances, so I definitely know what you mean.

Rishi,

I really like your list. Thanks for introducing me to Bebo Norman AND Small Town Poets.

Here is the remainder of my list, in no particular order:

Unveiled Hope, Michael Card
Beneath the Shadow of Your Wings, Fernando Ortega
Remedy, David Crowder
Clouds are Forming, Brad Kilman
Joy in the Journey, Michael Card

Clint said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clint said...

I am with Rishi there...I can't narrow it down to 5 artists, much less 5 albums! (BTW, no matter what the media is...cd, tape, vinyl etc. it's an album)


1. Keith Green (opened the door for
"Christian" music outside of the
pew. Well that wasn't some horrid southern gospel sounding music. They actually used "contemporary" style)
-For him who has ears let him
hear
-No Compromise

1. Rich Mullins
-Winds of Heaven, stuff on Earth
-Songs (I knows it a compilation
album but songs like Elijah were redone (possibly the greatest Christian song ever)

2. Delirious? (it's amazing how many of their songs we sing in
worship!)
-World Service
-Glo
-Kind of Fools

2. Third Day
-Conspiracy no. 5
-Offerings

2. Chris Rice
-Deep enough to dream (the first
album Sandy ever gave me.)

2. UBC worship band (DC*B)
-Pour over me
It was so packed full of hits that they were spread over David Crowder's next 3 albums! Rishi, do you remember recommending it to me when you were working at the Compass? We were visiting from Shreveport.

I miss you guys!!!